Monday, March 25, 2013

Hony Wheat Bread

I've mostly taken to making my own bread these days.  I've tried a few recipes and this is my favorite loaf to use for day to day (sandwiches, toast etc)

Ingredients
2 cups warm water (I use the hottest water that comes out of my tap)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/3 cup honey
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 cups all purpose flour

Directions
1) Dissolve yeast in warm water (give it about 5mins to foam up)  Add honey and stir well.  I do this in the mixer with the paddle attachment
2) Mix in whole wheat flour, salt, and vegetable oil.  still using the paddle attachment
3) Using the dough hook, gradually work in all purpose flour gradually.  When it comes together into an elastic ball turn it our onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes.
4) Place dough in a well oiled bowl.  Turn it several times in the bowl to coat the surface of the dough and cover with a damp cloth.  Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 mins.  (usually I warm the oven up for a few minutes and then turn it off and let the dough rise in the oven)
5) Punch down the dough.  Shape into two loaves and place into two well greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.  Allow to rise until dough is 1 to 1 1/2 inches above pans (approx 45-60mins)
6) When fully risen, bake at 375 degrees F for about 25 to 30 mins
7) Remove from pans and allow loaves to cool on their sides (so that the bottom doesn't become soggy)
Delicious warm with butter!

~SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment